Container Corporation of India Ltd (CONCOR) was incorporated in March 1988 under companies Act, and commenced operation from November 1989 taking over the existing network of seven ICDs from the Indian Railways. The company was setup with the objective of developing multi-modal logistics support for India’s International and Domestic Containerized cargo and trade.
The Southern Region started its activities in November 1989 by converting two small Railway Goods Sheds at Bangalore Cantonment and Coimbatore. From these humble beginnings the region has grown dramatically and is proud to have state-of-the-terminals, modern and cargo-friendly handling equipment, warehousing, user-friendly personnel and computerized booking windows.
The Southern Region has its headquarters (the Regional Office) at Chennai and covers the States of Kerala, Tamilnadu, parts of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Union Territory of Pondicherry. The Region is proud to be a truly multi-modal facilitator in that it handles cargo by Road, Rail, Air and via the coastal shipping route. The terminal network are as follows :
1. BANGALORE - ICD/WFD (WHITEFIELD)
2. CHENNAI - CFS/TNPM (TONDIARPET)
3. CHENNAI - HOM (HARBOUR)
4. COCHIN - RCT/CHTS (COCHIN)
5. TUTICORIN - CFS/MVN (MILAVITTAN)
6. MADURAI - ICD/KON (KOODAL NAGAR)
7. IRUGUR - ICD/IGU (IRUGUR)
8. SALEM - CRT/SAMT (SALEM)
9. TIRUPPUR - ICD/TUP (TIRUPPUR)
Due to the short leads of traffic owing to the geography of the area, the region has concentrated heavily on developing both rail and road services, and providing value added services especially in the area of warehousing, LCL movements, air cargo etc.
The Region has several firsts to its credit, especially in the warehousing business, including 1.The company’s first bonded ware house
2.Air-conditioned storage of cargo and multistack warehousing at Bangalore.
In order to combat road competition, high speed-heavy duty Volvo trucks are used extensively in the region to provide an alternate road connection between the ICD at Bangalore and gateway port of Chennai.
Bonded trucking services for Export LCL consolidation from, and delivery of LCL imports to hinterland locations, have been introduced between Chennai, Bangalore and Coimbatore and all major locations in South India
NEW ACHIEVEMENTS :
1. The IT Infrastructure has improved extensively with the terminals connected through VSAT network and the terminal management systems for Domestic and Exim business have been implemented in the terminals such as Tondiarpet (TNPM), Bangalore (WFD), Chennai Harbour (HOM), Irugur (IGU), Cochin (CHTS) and Madurai (KON), Milavittan (MVN) and Salem Market (SAMT)
2. At ICD/WFD an exclusive warehouse has been constructed and commissioned with all facilities to deal with air cargo including infrastructure to do palletisation.
3. The CFS at Tiruvottiyur has been notified by Chennai Customs as a Hub Point for consolidation/aggregation of EXIM cargo and also LCL cargo handling facility such as Export LCL Consolidation of different ICD Customs cleared cargo along with locally custom cleared LCL cargo, Delivery/ Destuffing of Hinterland Import cargo, besides Daily Bonded Trucking service between ICD/WFD and ICD/TNPM at Competitive rates, and to all ICDS in South India.
4. Customs has declared CHTS as bonded area for storage of import containers with metallic scrap and cashew.
5. Additional paving and container handling facility has been provided at RCT, Cochin and DCT, Salem market.
6. Inland COntainer Depot at Coimbatore has been relocated at Irugur.
7. Customs has declared 24 X 7 working of CFS-Milavittan(MVN) Tuticorin to clearance of Central Excise Export sealed containers
ONGOING PROJECTS :
1. Setting up of Cargo & Logistics Centre at Vallarpadam
2. Warehouse & Rail Siding at New Mangalore Port
3. MMLP at Nanjangud (Kadakola)
4. CONCOR's Logistic Park at SIPCOT's Hi-Tech Sez, Sri Perumbudur
OTHER SALIENT FEATURES :
1. Tondiarpet is the only Hub point in South India with Rail/Road Connectivity to Major Ports/ICDs
2. Offering competitive rates
3. Lock fast facility for sensitive cargo
4. Bonding facility for LCL Cargo
5. Warehousing of Export cargo
6. Hastle free, Safe, Secure, State of the art Service
7. Trained Labour, Battery Operated FLTs for LCL
8. Office Space for shipping line, NVOCC and Consolidators in the same complex
9. Weighment facility
10. On chassis stuffing/De-stuffing
11. Facility for Lashing, Packing, Palletizing etc
12. Transportation from and To port available
13. Warehousing/Quick clearance available at ICD/WFD/Bangalore, Coimbatore, Tirupur.
14. Warehousing space on Lease available
15. Closed circuit TV at the warehouse for strict security check.